Black Bean Cakes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2; tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Creole seasoning
- Cook onion with 1 tbsp olive oil in saute pan until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- In a bowl, mash beans with back of a fork until smooth. Stir in cooled onion mixture, cilantro, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Shape into patties and dust with flour and seasoning.
- Heat remaining oil in a nonstick skillet. Cook patties until golden on both sides.
- Optionally, top with tomatoes, sour cream, or guacamole.